Search our site
Mindset Training for Vicarious Trauma
City Law School and IfJ joint CPD Courses
Friday 14th April 2023, 10:00-13:00
I got so much from it! I was reduced to tears at one point. It's really valuable to have training such as this which is for the vulnerable people we work with but also for us.
Course facilitator(s): Rachel Jones-Wild
Course requirements: IfJ Member
Who is this course for: Professionals working with vulnerable people who want to learn more about mindfulness.
This course will be an experiential workshop on using mindfulness to recognise, understand and manage vicarious trauma. Participants will have a chance to learn meditation, mindfulness and visualisation techniques to manage vicarious trauma.
It would be helpful, but not mandatory to first attend the CPD course 'Trauma-Informed Support for Vulnerable People' on 24th February. Follow the link for more details.
This is an experiential workshop. There will be some theory and discussion about definitions of vicarious trauma and how to recognise and manage it.
There will also be an opportunity to be led through guided meditations, mindful movements and visualisations.
Participants will be split into breakout rooms for discussion.
1. To have an understanding of what mindfulness is.
2. To gain some practical skills in using mindfulness and visualisation to manage personal experiences of overwhelm and vicarious trauma.
3. To gain a personal strategy to manage overwhelm and vicarious trauma.
The workshop is run in the form of a small group training. The presenter will persent information and will invite high levels of participation and sharing of knowledge and ideas. Prepared slides/handouts guide the process rather than impart information.
The following materials are provided:
- Glossary of terms
- Powerpoint presentations
- Guidance for further reading
- Participants to log on 15 minutes prior to start of each session.
- It is required that all participants keep their cameras on throughout the workshop.
- Participants to complete online feedback form post workshop.