Search our site
Trauma-informed support for vulnerable people
City Law School and IfJ joint CPD Courses
24th February 10:00 - 13:00
Such a valuable course! Lots of practical techniques and a safe space and enough time to practice using them. Great ideas for use with the vulnerable people we work with, but also great for us.
Course facilitator(s): Rachel Jones-Wild
Course requirements: IfJ Member
Who is this course for: Professionals working with vulnerable people who want to learn more about mindfulness.
This course will be an experiential workshop to teach a trauma-informed approach to mindfulness. Participants will have a chance to learn mindfulness techniques for themselves and how to apply them to the vulnerable people you work with.
It would be useful, but not mandatory, to also attend the CPD course 'Mindset Training for Vicarious Trauma' on 14th April. Follow the link for more information.
This is an experiential workshop. There will be some theory and discussion about:
- definitions of mindfulness
- definitions of trauma
- a trauma-informed approach to mindfulness
There will also be an opportunity to be led through guided meditations and mindful movements.
Participants will be split into breakout rooms to practice leading short mindfulness interventions for one another.
1. To have an understanding of what mindfulness is.
2. To have an understanding of trauma-informed mindfulness and how this might differ to mainstream approaches.
3. To gain experience in leading short interventions that can be used to help a vulnerable people become grounded when they are feeling distressed.
The workshop is run in the form of a small group training. The presenter will persent information and will invite high levels of participation and sharing of knowledge and ideas. Prepared slides/handouts guide the process rather than impart information.
The following materials are provided:
- Glossary of terms
- Powerpoint presentations
- Guidance for further reading
- Participants to log on 15 minutes prior to start of each session.
- It is required that all participants keep their cameras on throughout the workshop.
- Participants to complete online feedback form post workshop.