Search our site
Registered Intermediary Skills for Court
City Law School and IfJ joint CPD Courses
26th January 2022, 9.30am - 4pm
Course facilitator(s): Dr Laura Farrugia, Catherine Chamberlain, Susan Stewart with guest speakers Debbie Barry and Clare Laing (Team Leaders for Citizens Advice Witness Service.
Course requirements: IfJ Full Members. Participant to each submit an anonymised court report prior to the course to be shared with all attendees without the authors being named.
Who is this course for: Ideally to have done 1 court case but open also to those who are awaiting their 1st court case and wish to increase knowledge/skills.
Discussion and support for the skills needed for RI Court report writing, GRHs, working effectively with the Witness Service and reviewing XX questions.
Course dates and times:
26th Jan 2022, 9.30am - 4pm
Registration - 9.15am
Course aims / objectives:
1. To explore the range of information required in RI court reports.
2. Each intermediary attending to identify learning points from a colleague’s report to apply to their future reports.
3. To consider how the MoJ’s recommended framework for court reports can be adapted for a particular witness’ vulnerabilities.
4. To discuss useful references to include in RI court reports to support recommendations for vulnerable witnesses.
5. To share experiences of GRHs and difficulties that may have arisen-and identify best practice
6. To learn about any documents relating to GRHs.
7. To consider what can make XX questions problematic for vulnerable witnesses and how to justify changes needed
8. To be aware of different formats for giving feedback to counsel about XX questions
9. To review a sample of XX questions as a group and share RI responses for changes needed
10. To consider how to get the most out of pre court and link familiarisation visits
11. To understand the role of the witness service
12. To consider the importance of collaborative working between RIs and the Witness Service, so we achieve the best for vulnerable witnesses.
The workshop is run in the form of a small group training of up to 20 intermediaries. The speakers will present information and will invite high levels of participation and sharing of knowledge and ideas. Prepared slides / handouts guide the process rather than impart information.
The following materials will be provided:
- Pre course questionnaire
- Power point presentations
- Guidance for further reading-Bibliography
- A 'Top Tips' collated after the course will be distributed to attendees
- Participants to log on 15 minutes prior to start of each session.
- It is required that all participants keep their cameras on throughout the workshop.
- Participants to complete online feedback form post workshop.