Search our site
Registered Intermediary Skills for Court
City Law School and IfJ joint CPD Courses
A course every R.I should do! So much useful, relevant content and a great
opportunity to share experiences and reflect on our practice.
Course facilitator(s): Catherine Chamberlain and Susan Stewart
Catherine is a paediatric speech and language therapist with over 35 years’ experience. She qualified as an RI in 2014 and works with children of all ages.
Susan started working as an RI in 2016. She assists witnesses aged nine years and above to adults, and created the Durham PCVC resources for witnesses. Susan is a speech and language therapist who has specialised in working with young people with complex communication needs.
Course requirements: IfJ Full Member Participant to each submit an anonymised court report prior to the course to be shared with all attendees without the authors being named.
Who is this course for: Ideally to have done one court case but open also to those who are awaiting their first court case and wish to increase knowledge/skills.
Discussion and support for the skills needed for RI Court report writing, GRHs, working effectively with the Witness Service and reviewing XX questions.
- To explore the range of information required in RI court reports.
- Each intermediary attending to identify learning points from a colleague’s report to apply to their future reports.
- To consider how the MoJ’s recommended framework for court reports can be adapted for a particular witness’ vulnerabilities.
- To discuss useful references to include in RI court reports to support recommendations for vulnerable witnesses.
- To share experiences of GRHs and difficulties that may have arisen - and identify best practice.
- To learn about any documents relating to GRHs.
- To consider what can make XX questions problematic for vulnerable witnesses and how to justify changes needed.
- To be aware of different formats for giving feedback to counsel about XX questions.
- To review a sample of XX questions as a group and share RI responses for changes needed.
- To consider how to get the most out of pre-court and link familiarisation visits.
The workshop is run in the form of a small group training of up to 20 intermediaries. The speakers will present information and will invite high levels of participation and sharing of knowledge and ideas. Prepared slides/handouts guide the process rather than impart information.
The following materials will be provided:
- Pre-course questionnaire
- Powerpoint presentations
- Guidance for further reading
- An anonymised court report from each RI attending (with RI consent)
- A 'Top Tips', collated after the course, will be distributed to attendees
- Participants to log on 15 minutes prior to start of each session.
- It is required that all participants keep their cameras on throughout the workshop.
- Participants to complete online feedback form post workshop.
- Participant to each submit an anonymised court report prior to the course to be shared wilth all attendees without the autors being named.
If you cancel your booking with 14 or more days notice, you will receive a full refund minus a £15 admin charge. If you cancel your booking with less than 48 hours' notice, we are unfortunately unable to offer a refund. However, you may substitute another delegate or transfer to another course by giving IfJ at least 24 hours’ notice.
In exceptional circumstances IfJ reserve the right to issue a full refund. Please inform us at the time of cancellation of your particular reason for cancelling. If you wish to cancel or change your booking, please do so by emailing: email@example.com
We will endeavour to respond to all cancellation requests within two working days. Refunds will be made using the same method of payment as you used for the purchase and will be paid within seven days of refund confirmation.
Places are limited to a maximum of 20 participants. There is a minimum requirement of 12 participants. If the minimum number is not met, IfJ reserve the right to cancel the course with at least two weeks' notice and a full refund will be issued.